Company e winder cavalry was part of the 1st maryland cavalry battalion. Formed with four companies on november 25th 1862 and, disbanded on april 28th 1865. The unit was to see all of its service in the eastern theatre with the army of northern virginia.Battles: jones & imboden virginia raid, greenland gap, fairmont, bridgeport, middleburg, winchester, gettysburg, monterey gap, hagerstown, kilpatrick- dahlgren, raid, new market, pollards farm, south anna river, trevelian station, moorefield, 3rd winchester, fishers hill, cedar creek, waynesborough, appomattox court house.Silk 1st national flag, with oil painted state seal on both sides of flag. Presented to the unit by the ladies of kent county, maryland. The original rests in the museum of the confederacy, richmond, virginia. The smyth dragoon would serve as company a of the 8th virginia cavalry regiment. Formed in late 1861 the unit was reorganized on may 25th 1862 and, would mainly see service with the army of northern virginia, in the eastern theatre.Battles: camp creek, giles court house, lewisburg, jenkinss expedition, buckhannon, weston (wv), glenville (wv), spencer court house (wv), white sulphur springs (wv), knoxville siege, rogersville, jonesville, gibsons mill, piedmont, lynchburg, monocacy, chambersburg, moorefield (wv), 3rd winchester, fishers hill, cedar creek, new creek, petersburg siege, high bridge, appomattox court house.The 1st national flag with slogan, associated with this company was probably made locally and, issued to the unit at the beginning of the war. However; there are to other flags from the 8th virginia cavalry. They are a 2nd national flag adorned with regimental designation. The other flag is an army of northern virginia silk battleflag with honours and designation. Made by the wife of general beauregard and presented to the unit. Both flags are in the collection of the museum of the confederacy, richmond, virginia company b hills cavalry 7th tennessee cavalry.Unit organized with the increase of five companies to the 6th cavalry battalion on 1st april 1862. The 7th cavalry regiment was to see service in the western theatre as well as providing escorts to various generals within major general nathan bedford forrests cavalry corpsbattles: union city, lafayette, holly springs, medon, brittons lane, corinth, lamar, hudsonsville, thompsons station, brentwood, commerce, coldwater river, grenada, chalmers raid, okolona, sturgis expedition, brices crossroads, tupelo, abbeville, forrests raid, franklin, nashville, wilsons road, tuscaloosa, scottsville.The use of cavalry guidons in confederate cavalry regiments was unusual this would indicate that the flag of hills cavalry was issued early in the war. This can be confirmed by its captured at union city on 31st march 1862,. The flag is a guidon size flag with a similar make up to that of the 1st national flag, adorned with the slogan victory or death and the letters csa in gold paint. It is more than likely that the regiment was issued a battleflag from the department of alabama mississippi & east louisiana quartermaster.