Organized at madison, wisconsin and, mustered into service on june 11th 1861. The unit would become part of the famed, iron brigade and, would see service in the eastern theatre. Battle honours: blackburn’s ford, bull run, advance on manassas, virginia, pope’s campaign in northern virginia, catlett’s station, gainesville , groveton, bull run, chantilly, maryland campaign, south mountain, antietam, advance to falmouth, fredericksburg, mud march, pollock’s mill creek, chancellorsviile, gettysburg campaign, gettysburg, bristoe campaign, mine run campaign, wilderness, laurel hill, spotsylvania, spotsylvania court house, north anna river, totopotomy, cold harbour, non-veterans ordered to madison, wisconsin, june 11, and there mustered out july 2, 1864. Veterans and recruits consolidated to a battalion of two companies and assigned to duty as provost guard at headquarters, 4th division, 5th army corps, till september. Petersburg, siege of petersburg, weldon railroad, boydton plank road, hatcher’s run,. Battalion consolidated with 6th wisconsin infantry as companies “g” and “h” november 30, 1864. Regiment lost during service 10 officers and 228 enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 77 enlisted men by disease a total loss of 315 men.These early war flags were made by mrs r.C. Powers and, other ladies from madison, wisconsin. Both flags adopt the recognised patterns adopted for the union army. They bear unit designation in gold stencil, with no honours with the state flag have the national arms on the observe and the state seal on the reserve. The flags were carried by the unit until late june 1863 before being replaced. The originals are housed in the wisconsin veterans museum, madison, wisconsin.